Welcome to the Canadian Association of Medical Biochemists website
Bienvenue sur le site de l'association des médecins biochimistes du Canada
The Canadian Association of Medical Biochemists is a professional
organization of specialized physicians who provide expertise in the
biochemistry and metabolism of human health and disease. Medical
biochemists consult, diagnose and treat patients
with disorders of biochemistry and metabolism and direct laboratories
providing clinical testingHow Medical Biochemists care for patients
In Canada, as with many other places in the world, the task of providing medical oversight to clinical chemistry, immunology, and genetics laboratories is given to physicians with specialization in laboratory medicine. However, the most exciting aspect of our discipline is the interface between the lab and clinical care. Ours is a clinical and laboratory hybrid discipline bringing the "bench to the bedside" in real time
Andrew don Wauchope, MD, FRCPC, Medical Biochemist, Hamilton Health
President of the Canadian Association of Medical Biochemists.
The role of Medical Biochemists in Canadian Healthcare
As Medical Biochemists we:
- are a primary specialty of the Royal College of Physicians and
Surgeons of Canada
- give medical oversight in routine and specialized clinical laboratories including those focussing on: endocrinology, lipidology, immunology, prenatal screening, newborn screening/inborn error of metabolism
- provide medical oversight to laboratory information systems to
ensure that medical information is delivered in a clinically useful and
medically safe manner
- consult on and interpret both routine and esoteric laboratory tests
- consult on patients specialized medical clinics such as lipidology, bone metabolism, thyroidology, and metabolic disease
News and Upcoming EventsSave the Date! Online CME Opportunity on the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Porphyrias.
October 08, 2014 Noon to 1 pm, EST.
Dr. Penny Stein of Kings College London, UK.
Details are here. Click here to register.
A position for a Medical Biochemist has been posted at Dalhousie University in Halifax. Click here for the job description and contact information.
President: Dr. Andrew don Wauchope, MB.BCh, MD, FRCP Edin, FCPath,FRCPath, FRCPC
email: donwauc<AT>mcmaster.ca; professional website
Vice President: Dr. Brian Gilfix, Dr. Brian Gilfix, MDCM, PhD, FRCPC, DABCC, FACB
email: brian.gilfix<AT>mcgill.ca; professional website
Webmaster: Dr. Daniel T. Holmes, BSc, MD, FRCPC
email: dtholmes<AT>mail.ubc.ca; professional website